Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Rough_Hewn

Wayward Side :
Reconciliation x 2

default

 Unconventional (original poster new member #87720) posted at 12:02 AM on Wednesday, September 30th, 2026

After spending an hour I don’t really have on a reply, my reply was nearly ready to be posted when it accidentally got deleted. I’m in work crunch mode right now and doubt I will have time to reconstitute it fully for a week or two. I am sorry.

I hope your beliefs are wrong there.

Why?

Because I want both women in my life.

I will humor your ask:

Objectively, the smart play by me would be: I should commit purely to my wife, build new friendships, & lay down my hope to reconnect with my friend.

However, I would detest that. The "smart" choice is just the superficially easy choice. In practice, I don’t see myself forming new friendships. It’s not just the AuDHD. It’s the occupation and perfectionism, too. Even if I did miraculously find a friend, they wouldn’t fill "my AP’s" niche in my heart. Furthermore, I would feel completely awful over abandoning "my AP."

Maybe it would be of some comfort to you to turn back to your faith. …is she not also God's child? Do you doubt that our Heavenly Father has a Divine Plan for her? Lift that anxiety up to Him, so that it may burden you less, and see what He does with it..

God can definitely be a comfort. It’s a little harder to find comfort in God for "my AP"—because, while she’s nebulously spiritual, she became disenchanted with and left Catholicism many years ago. (She and I didn’t see eye-to-eye on much, but we could talk with each other about anything without engendering ire and we both admired the other’s intellect even though we rarely agreed.)

What I want now, though, is to feel the pain and worry of loss.

Do you think you might be stuck in a mutually reinforcing cycle where having to go NC has caused you grief, pain, and loss... But if you hold on to the hope shocked that you might someday get OW back, then you don't have to accept the loss... And then because you don't accept the loss, you decide to cling to the grief and the pain, so that you don't forget her... But of course that keeps you stuck with the feelings of grief, pain, and unprocessed loss, still...and you reason that the only thing that will stop the grief and the pain is getting OW back... So you cling to the hope... round and round you go.

shocked

How you got all that from what I wrote is… kinda scary… but I’d say… fundamentally: "yes."

The place you interrupt that cycle, if you agree it exists, is….

Buuut… I want the agonizing pain and worry. Without those, it’ll be too easy to let my friend pass from my consciousness and never be recruited back to friendship. She might become… like my very first girlfriend… whose last name I swear I once knew. If you were to ask me about her, I’d say: yeah, I liked her once. Limerence does funny things to the psyche. I was head over heels for her. She was my first kiss. I remember being so distraught when she broke up with me. Oh well…. moving on….

Now… you’ll assure me: that’s good! That’s healthy! That’s exactly what you should do with "your AP"! And I will respond: never will I let that happen.

I’m not usually one for paranoia, but I really think part of why I am being allowed to hold onto "hope" is that the counselor—and possibly my wife—are expecting my yearning for "my AP" to wane over the 2 years—hence, for "my AP" to become an easier ask for me to sacrifice. I have to resist that quenching!

you don’t have to forget her or rewrite the story so that she's a villain. You can lie in bed at night and think, "The relationship with this person was wonderful. I miss her. It hurts that she's gone from my life... But, she isn't coming back, and that's for the best." That would be consciously deciding to move out of the denial and bargaining phases of grief and into acceptance.

I abhor the thought of having those thoughts. barf

I see no reason to pursue such thoughts.

More eventually…

[This message edited by Unconventional at 1:41 AM, Wednesday, September 30th]

Sincerely, Unconventional

posts: 43   ·   registered: Aug. 26th, 2026   ·   location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
id 8906538
default

GotTheMorbs ( member #86894) posted at 1:25 AM on Wednesday, September 30th, 2026

You shouldn't seek a "replacement"for OW, or compare new friends to her, but rather appreciate them for who they are and the joy of knowing them. And when you have enough friendship to meet your needs, you'll know.

Far too often in our hasty, mad quest to *Be Loved,* we lose sight of the fact that we are inherently, uniquely, and divinely *Loveable.*

I'm not arguing... I'm calibrating

posts: 448   ·   registered: Jan. 5th, 2026   ·   location: USA
id 8906541
default

 Unconventional (original poster new member #87720) posted at 1:45 AM on Wednesday, September 30th, 2026

I sleep about 3-4 h a night currently. The rest of the time, I am working. Where do I fit in making new friends?

I feel compelled to mention that—out of the whole passage:

you don’t have to forget her or rewrite the story so that she's a villain. You can lie in bed at night and think, "The relationship with this person was wonderful. I miss her. It hurts that she's gone from my life... But, she isn't coming back, and that's for the best." That would be consciously deciding to move out of the denial and bargaining phases of grief and into acceptance.

The bolded text is the part that twists my stomach in knots.

Honestly, as much as I greatly want for now my AP’s absence from my life to be permanent, a meaningful part of me knows that’s very plausible. It’s the bolded text part I absolutely cannot absorb.

[This message edited by Unconventional at 1:52 AM, Wednesday, September 30th]

Sincerely, Unconventional

posts: 43   ·   registered: Aug. 26th, 2026   ·   location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
id 8906542
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20260728a 2002-2026 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy